Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Congrats to Wai for his GOLD award at  iF || Hoberman's transformable design

 iF - International Forum Design Hannover: Homepage > iF online exhibition > Entry Details: "Sonos". Wai's design is very clean and elegant, and its an exciting honor.

Today, I also got to see Chuck Hoberman talk about transformable design. It was terrific, to think about buildings having animism. I really enjoyed the design language around transformation and building display. The parts that resonated with me most are the emotive aspects of such transformations and the ability of the building to become alive. His aesthetic of simple and clean and manufacturability was another aspect I enjoyed. He showed that with simple units, you can build very compelling structures that were more complex. His favorite piece, which was very delightful, was a spiraling shell. Reminds me of a folding razor I worked on once. It was an inspiring talk and makes you think about the way buildings could have this personality, a relationship with the inhabitants based on it caring for itself. Wonderful talk!

No comments: